Monday, May 23, 2011

Home Made Jake and The Neverland Pirates Toys

Will I ever write on this blog consistently? Probably not. But this time I have a good excuse for my long absence...or a cute excuse at the very least. This little sweetheart decided she needed to join us 8 1/2 weeks early so we've been busy running back and forth from our house to the hospital and there and back again. She's home now though and doing fantastic. Can you tell that we are Disney addicts at our house? Well it's true, we have a problem. Anyway, Disney has a new show, Jake and the Neverland Pirates. May is crazy about it. She loves to pretend she's a pirate and that she has pixie dust and can fly. It's so new though that they don't have anything out for it yet (or else you can be sure we'd have at least a Jake coloring book to drag around). So for her Easter basket I thought I would make her some Jake toys.
This is not the greatest picture but there was about to be a mutiny if I didn't return that pixie dust pouch to its rightful owner. So the foam sword laying in the back is from the dollar store. There were no questions asked that it was Jake's sword.
For the Izzy doll I used the Black Apple Doll pattern found here on Martha Stewart's website. I used the leg piece of the pattern as a guide for the boots and just made them wider and shorter than the leg. Sew them and then fold the tops down. The bandanna (and that pink think on the left is a matching bandanna for May) are just triangles cut from fabric with a zig zag stitch around them.
The pixie dust pouches are pretty simple. I used felt so I didn't have to worry about fraying but you could probably use whatever you want. Cut a circleish shape from your material. It doesn't have to be perfect because you are just going to bunch it up anyway. Run thread up and down (by hand) using long stitches around the entire circle. Make sure you start and end on the outside of your pouch. Pull it tight. Take a piece of ribbon and stitch the ends onto opposite sides of the pouch to make your necklace. I filled May's with glitter knowing full well it would be a huge mess. Yes I've been finding glitter everywhere but it's not as bad as I thought and totally worth how excited she gets when she sprinkles it on something.
The map is also incredibly simple. I bought iron-on transfer paper. Printed the map on it and ironed it onto some brown material. I did a zig zag stitch around it hopefully to keep it from fraying too bad but you could skip that part if you wanted might make more authentic looking if it was frayed.

So..YO HO Let's go!

3 comments:

  1. where did you find the map super cute =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for Cubby's map for my son. He LOVES this show. We even use plastic gold pieces as rewards when he does something nice during the day and sing the song as we count them for Daddy when he gets home. So far so good! Where did you get the map? It would be a great reward for all the hard work he has done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also love to know where you found the image of the map! I am planning on making something similar for a Christmas gift. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete